Saturday, September 10, 2011

CC48 Day 4 Part 2




I could not close out the blog for this day without explaining how it ended. God works in some amazing ways. It is almost ironic also that as we near the 10th anniversary of 9/11 that it is a "First Responder" that saved my day. Here is the story. I had the GPS find a campground. It was dark after I stopped at a Burger King to try to do my blog. Their wifi was not working, so I figured I better find a campground for the night. Mr. Garmin Zumo said there was one 10 miles away. Beaver Tail campground. GREAT. Off I go. Got to the address and there was nothing on the left, as it was supposed to be. I mean nothing just woods. About 200 yards back I had passed an entrance that went back into the woods on the right and it had two telephone poles on either side of the drive with a telephone pole across the top like is common out west. It had an American Flag hanging from it. OK… this looks like the GPS just had the wrong side of the road and this was the entrance to my campground. Into the drive I go. I come to a trailer parked in the right side, OK.. someone else is registering. Wait a minute, this is a log home, pole building and some out buildings, but not a campground. I have driven into someone's private home. Well better explain myself before I get shot. Frank and Lisa and their two daughters Morgan and Lauren were out in the driveway. Maybe they could steer me to the campground? Wala… no campground anywhere near here and they never heard of the one my GPS had directed me to. I showed them the listing on the display and everything. I was at the right address, but nothing. They suggested that this could be my campground. Are you kidding, me.. it is dark and they have no idea who I am. I was tired though and appreciated the offer. I asked where I could pitch my tent and they said it was not necessary as they had a kids “play house” with two beds that I could use. Well the “play house” was about an 18 by 18 log cabin Frank had built himself. It was magnificent as was their home. He showed me around his pole building and the 1929 Model A fire truck that has been in his family for a long time. They are amazing people and the kind of people that make this country so great. Frank is a fireman in St. Cloud and his wife Lisa works for a local telecom business. The mattress was far more comfortable than my sleeping pad and I did not have to pitch the tent. Their two daughters Morgan and Lauren met me this morning as I was getting packed with a fresh homemade cupcake that was to die for. Lisa brought me an apple and a granola bar. America is fantastic! Here I was a total stranger and they took me in after a long tiring day in the saddle. A total stranger driving up their driveway in the dark. It ranks right up there with that steak dinner by Judy back in Silver Creek as part of the adventure. THANK YOU Frank, Lisa, Morgan and Lauren. You are the best and I hope you will follow the trip. If you ever venture back east, please allow me to return the favor. We have spare rooms and some toys in the garage to share.

What a day!

No comments:

Post a Comment