Sunday, September 11, 2011

Day 6 (9/11/11)





As we all know, today was a day 10 years ago we will never forget. As I was leaving Mitchell, SD this morning a local service organization had placed hundreds of American Flags on a grassy lot in town. I am sure it happened all over the country, but it struck me that even in this remote town in Eastern South Dakota, far removed from the events of that day, people remember and salute those who died. It brought a lump to my throat. A lesson for all of us. I then headed down into Nebraska to add a new one to the list. Once in NE I headed west across what has to be some of the most remote and beautiful grasslands I have ever seen. Nothing but prarrie as far as the eye could see. I stopped in Springview, NE to get fuel and started talking to a young high school girl named Kelsi Mizner. I asked how big her graduating class will be and she said 14. Well 14 after you add the 5 foreign exchange students that is. The obvious question is how do you get a date for the prom. Surely everyone knows everyone and everything about each other. That is pretty much the case ... but she says they meet students from neighboring schools at sporting events etc. They must use the word "Neighboring" very loosely. Neighbors have to be a hundred miles or more away. Later her boyfriend Patrick Shaul stopped in to join her and I took their picture by the motor cycle. I could not help but think what a culture shock it would for them to go to a school like North Penn and for that matter what a culture shock, it would be for our kids to go to school here. Two totally different worlds. Can you imagine what it must be like for a foreign exchange student to spend a year in this small of a town. Everyone I met there was friendly and seemed to be very happy. Maybe the hustle and bustle of the east is not all it is cracked up to be?
After exiting NE and heading back into South Dakota I stopped to take the obligatory picture of Mt. Rushnmore. It is an impressive sight, but I have been here many times so some of the awe is lost. It kind of irks me that this is a National Monument but they have comercialized the parking and it costs $11 to park a motorcycle. NOT in my world, there are several free places to take pictures and I did. While exiting the park, I had to slow to allow two buffalo to cross in front of me. I wouldn't want to tangle with one of these guys. All in all a great day. Temps a little warm in the low 90's, but it is in the upper 40's now and my fingers are getting stiff trying to type this, so I am going to keep it short. Tomorrow it is off to Cody, Wy. Hope you enjoy the pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment