Wednesday, September 7, 2011

CC48 Day 2 (Wednesday 9/7)



Today dawned just like yesterday, dark, gloomy and raining cats and dogs. We had a great night last night visiting with the Ormont's and tried today to get up and get moving without hindering their early morning routine. The route today had to be adjusted due to the fact that Route 9 in Vermont was washed out from the floods caused by Hurricane Irene. We still needed to travel into Vermont though, so it was off to Brattelboro then south to Springfield Mass where Dan and I separated. He headed south into the brunt of the advancing remneants of tropical storm Lee and I headed west over into Upper New York state. The weather map attached here, kind of tells the story of the day. I have ridden in rain many times before and hard rain a number of times as well. Today was the longest distance I have ever ridden in driving rain without it ever letting up. I rode all the way from Keene, NH to about a few miles east of Buffalo, NY before it relented. My rain gear is good, but they have not made rain gear that can keep all the water out in conditions like that. The highways were full of bucket trucks again today headed back to Michigan. I must have passed 200 or more of them on the way west. The Erie Canal follows along beside I-90 in NY state for about 40 miles. Normally this is a narrow canal totally contained within its banks, today it was a 40 mile long lake that was a half mile wide at places with flood water. The flooding in upper NY state is hard to imagine. These people will be years recovering from this disaster. The rain finally subsided as I neared Buffalo and the last 100 miles to my friends inlaws home in Silver Creek, NY was actually enjoyable. Total miles for the say was just over 500 with the detour. Any of you that know me know that for years I have dreamed of owning an enclosed motorcyle made in Switzerland called a "Monotracer". I have enclosed a picture of one here. It is days like today that make me realize that the inventor of this machine has a vision that is to be admired. I could have been riding in dry comfort all day instead of becoming a prune in my rain suit. In any event, I had plenty of time to think about all the people that will benefit from the ride and it makes it all worth it. For me it is an adventure and having arrived safe and sound today in the worst riding conditions I have ridden in for a long time is a sense of accomplishment. Tomorrow it is off to Chicago picking up some additional states along the way. Vermont was the only new state for the day today.

No comments:

Post a Comment