Monday, September 19, 2011

Day 14 (9/19/11)







Today was a day to sleep in and not push too hard. I stayed at Circus Circus and the bed just felt like I should enjoy it as long as I could. The hotel really has nice accomodations for motorcycle parking, as they are under the portico and right near the valet stand, so someone is there around the clock. It was nice not to have to worry about it here in this busy city. After packing up, I headed out to Hoover Dam. I wanted to see the new bridge that was built over the Colorado River just below the dam. Since it was my day to Skype Ms. Pickens classes back in PA, I set up my computer right on the tail bag of my motorcycle in the parking garage there. It was shaded etc. This is the first time I powered my phone from the bike to use it as a mobile hotspot without being plugged into an outlet, but it worked fine and I was able to talk with the students for about 20 minutes before packing up and moving along. Pictures are enclosed of the site I spoke with the class from, as well as the dam and the new bridge. From there I headed south to Kingman, AZ switched back to Mountain time and headed across a stretch of old Rte 66 to Selligman, AZ. While there I had lunch with two cross country bicyclists from Santa Cruiz California on their way to Key West. They are really nice guys (Mike and Bobby) and we shared travel stories. I was highly impressed with their level of conditioning as they had traversed California and climbed Tioga Pass out of Yosemite. I have done that in a car and it climbs to well over 10,000 feet. From there they dropped down and followed the same route I had. I asked how they could ride across Death Valley in that heat. They said they did it at night. Water is their limiting factor, as they need it about every 40 miles or it is really stretching themselves. My obvious question is where do you stay at night and they said "along side the road". I hear people all the time say they would never even pull their motorhomes off beside the road and sleep. These guys didn't even have a tent that I could see. Folks it can be done if you have a little zest for life and are not afraid of your shaddow. It is inspirational for me to be around people like this as they are making memories that will last a life time and only people that have done it themselves can understand. Safe travels to them. I asked them why they were doing it and their reply was "it seemed like a good idea". I like that spirit. We need more of that in youth today. Surely that is the spirit of the settlers that started off in covered wagons. It is lost in many of the youth of today that never stretch themselves and take any risks at all. After leaving them I headed up Rte 64 to the South rim of the Grand Canyon. I have been here many times before having ridding a mule down to the river once and having hiked to the bottom twice in past trips, but it never ceases to amaze me. I got here just as the sun was setting on a clear night. What color and beauty. Unfortunately, I think I will have to take some pictures in the morning to give you a better idea of how vast the canyon is. Well, I better head off and see if I can find a place to camp. It won't be as comfortable as last night, but the stars are sure to be spectacular. Day 14 is in the books. Tomorrow it is off to Monument Valley, Four Corners and then Durango Colorado. I hope you enjoy the pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment