Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Day 15 (9/21/11)







Well, it had to happen some time on this trip. You see, I have a reputation for staying at the "Iron Butt Hotel" on some of my trips. What this means is that I don't have proper camping locations or I don't elect to use them. At times this has meant sleeping along side my bike at a rest stop. Last night was not quite as bad, but by the time I finished watching the sunset over the canyon and then looking at the stars until nearly midnight the camp offices were closed. Well actually, they were closed by the time I arrived, but no matter. In any event, I took a spin through the trailer camping area looking for a site where I could plug my CPAP machine in. I could not find one so I deciced to stay in the tent area... with no electricity. The stars were so amazing and the humidity so low, I decided to sleep on my sleeping pad on the picnic table in the site instead of fumbling setting up the tent in the dark. it was cold, but my sleeping bag was comfy. Walla!!! The Iron Butt Hotel again. Needless to say without the machine, I did not get a good nights sleep and besides the shooting stars were not to be missed. I awoke early at about 6:00 packed up and went to take a few more pictures of the canyon in the early morning light. What can I say, it was beautiful. I then headed for the East exit of the park to start heading toward Monument Valley, Four Corners and Durango, CO. I have not been to Monument Valley since I was a teenager, and it still is as beautiul as ever. For those of you old enough to remember Chevrolet had a commercial with one of their cars perched on top of a red rock spire here. I think the lyrics to the music were "See the USA in your Chevrolet". I am sure the spire is still there, but my memory dims as to which one it was. Oh well, they are all very impressive. From there I doubled back south to hit Four Corners. This is the only spot in the United States where four states come together at one point. (Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona and Utah). It is basically in the middle of nowhere, but there are some Native Americans selling jewelry and other trinkets there. I think they were the same ones that were here every time I have ever passed through by the looks of their skin. For some reason, it is always windy at this spot. After leaving Four Corners, I worked my way past Mesa Verde National Park and on into the rockies and Durango. I did not stop at Mesa Verde as it is about 30 miles back off the highway and I have been there many times before. The cliff dwellings are interesting, but my butt was draging and I wanted to get to Durango set up camp, get a good meal and sleep. I am camped north of town along the route to Silverton. Durango's main attraction other than the off road meca for Jeep owners is the Durango to Silverton Train. This is a narrow guage steam railroad that traverses some of the most beautiful canyons as it winds its way up to Silverton which is about 50 miles away and at about 11,000 feet. If you ever get out this way, you need to take the trip. It is an all day affair, but you will not be disapointed. Not on this trip for me, but I have done it as a child and then with our kids when they were young. I still looks the same. Enjoy the pictures and tomorrow it is off on day 16 and I get to pick up a couple of neew states.

No comments:

Post a Comment